Create a Section in Your Library that Honors Your New Arrival & New American Communities
We would love to help you create a Welcoming Genre Display!
The Welcoming Genre is a selection of New Arrival & New Generation children’s titles curated by I’m Your Neighbor Books to represent and welcome your immigrant and new generation community members. Those K-12 titles can be highlighted with I’m Your Neighbor Books genre stickers and signage. You provide the book case, we will help with the rest!
Here are the services and materials I’m Your Neighbor Books provides as part of the Welcoming Genre:
1) Inventory Sheet: We send you an Excel spreadsheet with frontlist and backlist New Arrival/New American children’s books—all within your institution’s age range. You then check off what titles you already own in this emerging cultural genre.
2) Suggested Order: Return that inventory sheet to us and let us know how much you plan to spend on books for your Welcoming Genre display. We’ll build a suggested book order for you taking into consideration what you already have and what you can add to make a richer collection. NOTE: You will be responsible for purchasing the books through your standard channels.
3) Book Processing: We’ll send you spine labels, cover stickers, and custom bookplates (500 of each) to affix to your existing, incoming, and future books in this genre. These multilingual stickers unite the books as genre while delivering messages to your readers about welcoming and belonging.
4) Discussion Questions: We’ll also send our acclaimed Discussion Questions for 35 core all-ages picture books. These Discussion Questions create maximum engagement with the books when affixed to the books’ back endpapers. As new Discussion Questions are written and released, we will automatically mail them to you at no additional cost.
6) Signage: We’ll provide our “Read to Welcome, Read to Belong” wall signage as a PDF. Sized to fit your space, the file will be ready to send to your local sign printer. You will be responsible for printing the provided sign files at your cost.
7) Ongoing Support: Every 5 weeks, we’ll send an email of new and recommended New Arrival / New American titles for you to consider adding to your growing Welcoming Genre display.
Contact Us: Message us about a Welcoming Genre.
“It was a joy to see our students’ eyes light up as they saw the stories of themselves and their classmates reflected in the pages of these books. Having a prominent and permanent ‘Welcoming Genre’ display in our library sends a message of welcoming and belonging for our students and families. It inspires curiosity in adults and children alike. Our teachers are reading these books to their students and kids are bringing these home to read with their families.” —Jennifer Stanbro, Maine School Librarian of the Year, 2021