I’m Your Neighbor Books will join Mayo Street Arts, The Remote Theater Project, Portland Ovations, and The Greater Portland Immigrant Welcome Center in a parade to honor of The Walk.
At the heart of The Walk is Little Amal a 10-foot tall puppet of a young refugee girl, created by the acclaimed Handspring Puppet Company. Representing all displaced children, many separated from their families, Little Amal will travel over 8,000km embodying the urgent message “Don’t forget about us”.
Parade With Us
Thursday, August 5
Monument Square to Ocean Gateway
I’m Your Neighbor Books will dive into one of our featured picture books to further honor child refugees. We will be walking amongst the waters of the Mediterranean Sea while the children depicted in the book the Story Boat bobs on waves. Listen to a reading of the featured book:
By joining us, you will:
- Draw attention to 12 million+ refugee children.
- Support the power of stories to create empathy.
You only need to:
- RSVP to I’m Your Neighbor Books Board VP Kim Simmons
- Dress in blues.
- Arrive in Monument Square between 12:30-12:45 PM
- Hold up swaths of (provided) blue fabric to recreate a moving ocean.
- Bring an empty tote bag.
- Help hand out activities that send messages to public officials about refugee children.
The materials for this parade were made possible by a donation from Aldona Shumway in honor of Bob Shumway.